Blast Off

9-19/20-2012

11:49 PST

LAX



Welp. Here I is. One jump seat away from leaving the U.S.; indefinitely, I suppose. I really don't know when I'll be back. But that's all part of the adventure.

I've already been through all the stages. For the first several months of the planning process I was kind of in La La Land. I made preparations. I told everyone I was going to go work in a surf shop in Guatemala. It was fun making everyone jealous. Then there was a good amount of stress associated with the workload of slimming down material goods. After that was kind of a honeymoon phase where I didn't really have to be responsible for anything. I was physically ready. I had everything I needed to vacate the premises but I had nowhere to be. I was on a short vacation visiting friends and family. Reality hit again for a few weeks when I worked at the Woolley Mammoth. Every time I thought about the experience I'd get a blast of adrenaline in my stomach. "What am I getting myself into...?" That lasted for a couple weeks until I finally just let go of it all and realized that it's going to be so awesome. Whatever the symptom, relaxation is the prescription. Another short honeymoon phase of about a week, super excitement at the hostel and now... Now, I'm just exhausted. I never sleep on planes but I think tonight I will be granted an exception.

The lady that checked me in gave me a sweet seat. Emergency exit, window. Leg room and possible sleep assistance on the lean. I'd like to think it was the compliment I gave her on her glasses, but maybe she's that nice to everyone. She did warn me, though, "You look NOTHING like your passport photo. They'll probably grill you at customs."

"Yeah. That was ROTC. Whoops. I'll shave my beard if they ask but I'm not cutting the hair. No way."

Ugh. I think I'm going to try to nap before we board. Tomorrow, I hit the ground running. I'll try my best to find a fair cab price, get to the university my couchsurfing host is at and locate him. Maybe sit in on a few classes and probably nap hard at his place before grabbing some beers. That's my guess.

Oh, btw, if you ever want to feel really rich - go exchange a few bucks for Mexican pesos or Guatemalan quetzales. I have a fat pocket full of big numbers. It's totally silly.


No comments:

Post a Comment